Total Pageviews

Monday, October 29, 2012

AFTER RESONANCE with AUTHOR ERIKA ROBUCK


Author Bio:  ERIKA ROBUCK (@ErikaRobuck) is an avid reader and a book blogger specializing in Historical Fiction. She self-published her first novel RECEIVE ME FALLING.  Her novel HEMINGWAY'S GIRL was just released by NAL/Penguin, and will be followed by CALL ME ZELDA in 2013.  She is a member of The Hemingway Society and the Historical Novel Society.

1.  What was the galvanizing "Aha" or process in conceptualizing RECEIVE ME FALLING.  What compelled you to choose this one, as your debut novel?

E.R.:  It was a series of consecutive discoveries that compelled me to write this novel first.  I'd long been interested in the relationship of slavery to the present day, and was emotionally stirred by such works as Frederick Douglass' NARRATIVE IN THE LIFE OF AN AMERICAN SLAVE and Toni Morrison's BELOVED. When planning a trip to the Caribbean I started to research some of the "plantation inns" and was saddened that I didn't know more about slavery in the Caribbean, where so many men and women passed through on their way to the United States. I wanted to show readers that aspect of the terrible past of slavery, and explore its relevance to the present day.


2.  Was there a particular theme in RMF that resonated with you personally?  Through the writing of this novel, were you artistically satisfied expressing yourself on this theme? 

E.R.:  I particularly wanted to show that we blind ourselves to what is going on to protect ourselves from having to make difficult or even courageous decisions, so blindness and sight were important themes. In Genesis in the Bible, Adam and Eve have "fallen" once they see the difference between good and evil.  My characters live on a plantation named Eden, and my protagonist, a slave owner's daughter, must confront her father's legacy, even though it has been her way of life.  Her last name is "Dall," which means blind in Cornish, as does the name of her father, "Cecil."  In one of the opening scenes of the past, Catherine is blind-folded and an abolitionist literally removes the covering from her eyes, foreshadowing how he will symbolically help her later in the story.  The most seeing character in the novel, Mary the slave, is physically blind.  I am happy with how the theme was expressed.

3.  When did you know you were going to become a published novelist or serious writer, and was there a definite time in your life when this understanding became clear to you?

E.R.:  When I finished my first draft of this novel in its entirety, I was certain I'd publish the book at some point.  It had been a life-long goal to complete a novel, and when I did, I knew I wanted to share it with the world. It had to go through a lot of revisions before it was ready for publication, however, but early readers had such positive feedback that I knew it was worth shaping.

4.  Who are your "heroes of literature" and what would you say are the defining reasons they are important to the tradition of writing, or what they have contributed to the making of yourself, as an author? 

E.R.:  My heroes are A. S. Byatt and Ernest Hemingway.  A. S. Byatt is a force of nature.  Her novel POSSESSION takes place in multiple time periods and contains poetry and prose, and all of it, though distinct in voice, is written by her.  Hemingway is an iconic figure capable of conveying serious depth of emotion through simple, direct prose.  Both of these writers, and countless others, have moved me so much through their work that I am inspired to move others in such a way.

5.  What do you care about in Life, as being essential to your selective experience of it?

E.R.:  Redemption is my concern, in life and in literature.  I want to redeem people, to show triumph over adversity,  and explore reconciliation.  I am Catholic and these themes are important to my faith and my work.

Thank you for agreeing to share some of your thoughts in this post, Erika :) May your week be abundant with gifts of all kinds! 

E.R.:  Thank YOU, and back at you. :)

Obtain your copy of HEMINGWAY'S GIRL by Erika Robuck, with NAL/Penguin, on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Hemingways-Girl-Erika-Robuck/dp/0451237889

No comments:

Post a Comment